Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Peanut Chicken Wraps

Chicken salad is my favorite packable food. It is also a wonderful way to use the little-too-dry chicken from making stock. (and a great place to hide ground up bones, mushy weird organs and nutritious  bits that no one wants to eat. Shhh!) For GAPS, I wrap it in steamed cabbage leaves, or just eat it out of the bowl. I like adding almonds and green onions and cheese and egg and random leftovers and make it a million different ways. I've made chicken curry salad a few times and it was really yummy - a spicy twist on the usual chicken salad. Then recently I tried a peanut chicken stir-fry and thought it was amazing! So this is a fun blend. My husband even thinks this is ok (he doesn't like cold chicken, any time, anywhere.) I feel this is still a recipe in progress, but it is still too yummy not to share.

Ingredients:
3 cups chopped cooked chicken

Sauce:
1/4 c peanut butter (organic, unsalted is best)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or pineapple vinegar)
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 c cream or coconut cream (could also use yogurt possibly for different flavor)
3 Tbsp oil - coconut, olive, sunflower seed
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

1 small onion, cooked, finely chopped (opt.)

If using coconut oil, gently melt in a sauce pan. Sauté garlic, then add ginger and stir til fragrant. Mix rest of sauce ingredients thoroughly. It should be a gloppy brown sauce.  Since I used pineapple vinegar, which I find to be a little more mild than apple cider, I used a bit more. You may like more ginger too. Just taste it and see what you think. Mix in chicken and onions.

For wraps, break off (carefully) a few cabbage leaves (I filled 8 with this recipe) and put them in a pot, stems down, with an inch of water to steam for a couple minutes.

Serve warm or cold!
Related Posts with Thumbnails