Sunday, October 10, 2010

Liverwurst (aka. superfood sausage!)

I just made this tonight, and I was really thrilled! Everything is approximate - so play around with the recipe. Try different spices too... I'm still obsessed with cumin & cayenne :)

  • 1 lb grass fed beef liver
  • 1 lb pastured organic ground pork
  • half bulb garlic
  • half small onion
  • 3 tsp kosher salt
  • pepper (as desired - up to 2 tsp)

Use whatever sausage seasonings you like - One recipe I looked at for liverwurst used allspice, sage and marjoram. This is what I used:
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp ginger

Put in onions and garlic (pre-chopped a little) in processor. Then add liver and puree. Then add ground pork and spices. I stuck my nose in and smelled it - if I still smelled liver, I added more spices. Once pureed, it should be the consistency of gloppy pudding. If anyone comes in the room and asks what you are making, you can tell them that it is pudding. Hee hee. Heat cast iron skillet on medium heat. Drop by big spoonfuls onto skillet (no need to pre-grease unless the pork is lean) and spread with spatula into 1/4 in patties (bread shaped for sandwiches!) Brown for a few minutes on each side, and then serve up for a super-powered meal.

Keeps in the fridge at least a week, and freezes nicely too!

Linked to Monday Mania


UPDATE: Check out my updated recipe
Related Posts with Thumbnails