Tuesday, August 17, 2010

GAPS Granola

Much thanks to Grain Free Foodies & The Prairie Mom for inspiring me to make granola. I never was terribly interested in granola - but I wanted another munchy snack for our eight hour drive. It was also a good breakfast when I couldn't cook anything. I also appreciated that I couldn't really taste the coconut oil, as I don't like coconut yet. I shared samples with some friends very much buried in the SAD (standard american diet) and they loved it too!

I combined ideas and came up with this recipe:

3 cups of stuff - soaked and dehydrated pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, slivered almonds, & sunflower seeds.
I processed about half of it so some could be a little more finely ground (and more surface area for honey!)
Add 2 heaping Tbsp coconut oil, and 1/4 c honey, melted. Mix thoroughly until evenly coated. It will be very sticky and require frequent finger licking.


At this point you can allow to cool and harden on it's own, or make it crisp in the oven. I think the philosophy of GAPS would prefer it un-baked.  I baked at 350ยบ for 25 minutes - stirring half-way through. Break off from the pan before it completely cools.

(I also recommend soaking everything for a long while in order to clean :)

I think it will keep at least a few weeks outside the fridge - especially if not baked. I wouldn't know as we ate all within the week - and had to force ourselves to not eat it all in a single sitting! My husband thinks it's candy.

You can also add a cup or more dried fruit, coconut, good chocolate chips, etc. to this recipe. Yum yum!
Related Posts with Thumbnails