Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cauliflower "Popcorn"

This was the dish that convinced my husband and I that cauliflower does *not* have to taste like cardboard. The two of us ate an entire head of cauliflower in one sitting. Mmmm.... it was so good. Now my husband requests this. I get excited when cauliflower is on sale. Really. We never liked this white vegetable before!

Now why is it called "popcorn"? Well, forgive me for losing the link to the original recipe that I base this off of, but that person found it from someone else, who found it in a newspaper, and even though long ago it was determined this wasn't really popcorn-like, nobody came up with a better name. And perhaps there is no need to, because this is so addictive that you eat it as you would popcorn. Down to the last little bit in the bottom of the bowl :)

Cauliflower "Popcorn"

  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 c parmesan

Preheat oven to 425F, Cut out and put in compost cauliflower core and thick stems.
Break the cauliflower into bite size pieces. I find this easier to do with my hands initially, then I use a knife on the final chunks. In a large bowl, add cauliflower, and other ingredients. Toss thoroughly. If it looks like it needs more of any seasonings or you're feeling adventurous, throw it in. I never measure with this, I just see how it looks. Spread in a flat layer on a baking sheet or stone and bake for one hour, turning at least once or twice while roasting. Allow to cool for a minute so you don't burn yourself, and then dive in.

Time saving option: Clean and trim cauliflower and then place whole head in a pot to steam for 5-7 minutes until looking somewhat clear. Drain and run under cold water briefly. Then follow the rest of the steps, but bake only 20 minutes in a 450ยบ oven. You could also steam them before roasting on the grill.

3 comments:

  1. I have been so excited about making this. I finally did to night and it was a little bit of a flop :( After a half hour they were starting to burn. They tasted ok, but were a little mushy. I was wondering if I should have made the peices a little bigger. I did them about large kidney bean size. Also are they supposed to turn out crunchy or crispy?
    Thank you for your great blog. I liked the cauliflower raw, so maybe if I can't get it right next time, I'll just leave it raw. It's less work anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are supposed to be a little crispy/mushy, but I do usually make them in bigger chunks, maybe about the size of a ping pong ball. I wouldn't recommend eating cauliflower raw too often, as it is part of the Brassica family that is best cooked slightly before being eaten. I refer you to this blog for more info: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/10/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try again with bigger pieces. Thanks for the link.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29

Related Posts with Thumbnails